The contents of this course are the following:
1. Introduction to energy and climatic design
2. Introduction to renewable energy
3. Introduction to thermal comfort, heat transmittance and solar gain calculation
4. Solar Energy: Sun position and sun path
5. Building materials and glazing selection for solar design
6. Passive design systems (solar window, solarium, solar wall, solar chimney, shading devices, daylight design …etc )
7. Active design systems: (Solar water heating systems, Photovoltaic,…)
8. Geothermal energy design for buildings
9. Wind energy design for building
10. Introduction to computer software for renewable energy integration in building design.
This course aims to provide the students with the fundamental understanding of passive and active systems using renewable energy in building design. The course will provide the students in architectural engineering with the principles to integrate renewable energies (solar, wind, geothermal, biomass) in the project design, design concepts and materials.
|- An ability to design a building, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as environmental, social, ethical, health and safety, and sustainability||40%|
|- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve architectural engineering problems||30%|
|- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern architectural engineering tools necessary for architectural engineering practice||30%|