Status of Date Palm in Palestine
نوع المنشور
بحث أصيل
النص الكامل

Palestine has a Mediterranean climate which is characterized by long, hot, dry summers  and short, cool, rainy winters. The total area of the West Bank is about 6 million donums (1 donum =  0.1 hectare), of which 30% is cultivated, while the total area of the Gaza Strip is 365,000 donums, of  which 55% is cultivated. Date palm is cultivated in a small area in the West Bank (about 500 donums  in Jericho) and 2,200 donums in Gaza. The total annual production of date palm in those areas is 3,000  tons. This amount is about 10% of the dates consumed in the West Bank and Gaza. Most of the date  palms planted in Jericho are grown from seeds and called Baladi. These trees produce different fruit  sizes and colours with high genetic diversity. Some of these trees are also old (more than 50 years)  therefore their ability to produce offshoots has been reduced. New cultivars which have been  established in the area (‘Medjool’, ‘Barhee’ and ’Deglet Nour’) proved to grow well under Jericho  conditions. In Gaza, 90% of date trees are of ’Hayani’ variety, while the rest 10% are of other varieties.  Among the difficulties facing date palm culture in Jericho and Gaza are : (i) the limited amount of water  available for agriculture; (i) fertilization and pollination problems; (iii) the lack of genetic diversity,  especially in Gaza; (¡v) the lack of good propagation systems; and (v) the lack of comprehensive  planning for the agricultural sector in Gaza and Jericho  

Options Mediterraneennes No. A- 28.1996 81-84
بلد الناشر
نوع المنشور
Both (Printed and Online)